Model Driven Development and Decision Support | 2013-
Building an international research profile in the area of Sustainable Product-Service System Innovation at Blekinge Institute of Technology
This Knowledge Foundation (KKS) profile+ project application is based on a clear vision and objective regarding model driven development and decision support for sustainable product-service system (PSS) innovation and is building on the further deepening of the ongoing profile work with perspectives of raising international recognition through further presence in top publications, partnering with academics internationally, and also affecting educational programmes at BTH. The ongoing digitalisation is an already integrated part of the work, while the profile+ is extending the Data Driven Design approach based on Internet of Things progress and access to live data from solutions in the field.
The research focus is model-driven sustainable product-service system innovation. The concept of model-driven means that throughout the development process using models (virtual representation of reality) as communication media in order to shorten development cycles and improve multidisciplinary understanding. By also adding capability to collect live data from machines via connected sensors (Internet of Things – IOT) and finding patterns and solutions using big data analytics (including AI and Machine Learning), the aim is to increase the profiling in this research.
Project leader & Centre Director: Prof Tobias Larsson
Time span: 2013-2019 Profile, 2019-2022 Profile+
Funding: 163 MSEK (110 budget and 36 MSEK KK Foundation profile funds, 53 budget and 18 MSEK KK Foundation profile+ funds)
- Aura Light International (2013-2019)
- Avalon Innovation (2013-2019)
- Dynapac Compaction Equipment
- GKN Aerospace Engine Systems
- Holje International Group
- Roxtec International (2019-2022)
- Tetra Pak Packaging Solutions AB
- Volvo Car Corporation (2019-2022)
- Volvo Construction Equipment
- Industrigruppen Karlskrona (affiliated network partner)
- Tech Network (affiliated network partner)
- Blekinge Institute of Technology
- The Knowledge Foundation
An internationally leading research environment and the first-hand choice of partners who want to lead the way to a sustainable society through competitive product-service systems supporting a circular economy.
In co-production mode develop, disseminate, and integrate relevant, user-friendly and efficient computer aided support methods and tools for sustainable product-service system innovation into business leaders’, business developers’ and product developers’ working environments that enable industry to thrive in the changing global context, supported by both simulated and real data using internet of things and AI/machine learning.
Driving research question
How can we design a simulation, and data, driven PSS process where societal challenges are used as a driver for innovation, and methods and tools from diverse disciplines (engineering, sustainability, economics etc.) are linked in a decision environment, enabling value creating life-cycle solutions?
The industrial relevance is threefold:
- increased capabilities to mitigate risks, explore opportunities, and take informed decisions early on,
- increased opportunities to bring new sustainability-driven innovations to the market and
- research findings, methods and tools that help industry undertake the changes on several levels that are necessary to stay competitive.
The driving research question is broken down into several sub-questions that are being dealt with in the research tracks of MD3S+ as presented below.
RT1 – Value Driven Design
(mechanical engineering, innovation engineering)
- How can value models iteratively translate customers’ desires into terms that are meaningful for PSS design decision-making?
- How can a PSS process look like that supports a system of systems perspective and different component life-cycles over the course of PSS deployment?
- How to drive innovation in multi-stakeholder environments (both internal/external stakeholders)?
RT2 – Sustainable Product Development
(sustainable development, mechanical engineering)
- How can sustainability criteria and indicators guide the finding of generic LCA data to be used in a model-based decision support for value and sustainability assessment?
- How can a risk perspective be applied to identify, assess, and manage potential consequences of sustainability-related decisions?
- How to define a methodology to identify and assess how strategic sustainability criteria can be integrated in requirements and model how they affect value criteria?
RT3 – Simulation Driven Design
(mechanical engineering, data science, electrical engineering)
- How to assess model maturity levels: confidence in models and model generated results as a basis for decision making?
- How to use/asses IoT data-driven design and machine learning configurators for conceptual design?
- How to perform design automation tasks in a multi-discipline environment for decision making?
Abstract: Fostering ‘experiential learning’ in real-life situations is a critical task for engineering educators when creating constructively aligned learning activities.…
Integration of value and sustainability assessment in design space exploration by machine learning: an aerospace application
Abstract: The use of decision-making models in the early stages of the development of complex products and technologies is a…
Abstract The ability to predict and control the outcome of the sheet metal forming process demands holistic knowledge of the…
Abstract Poverty is a multidimensional issue, characterized by deprivations and constraints at the individual, institutional, economic, and technological level. To…
Abstract Set-Based Concurrent Engineering is commonly adopted to drive the development of complex products and systems. However, its application requires…
Abstract Extended product warranties, leasing, and pay-per-use schemes are few examples of how manufacturing companies are shifting their focus from…
STPs’ role as facilitators when innovation-advising organizations develop a common quality-assured innovation advising process
Abstract This study explores science and technology parks’ (STP) role as facilitators when an innovation advising organization network (IAON) within…
Abstract This research explores problems occurring when practitioners use a research-based methodology regarding how to create high-performing innovation teams, namely…
Abstract In this study, the flow stress behavior of ferritic-pearlitic steel (C45E steel) is investigated through isothermal compression testing at…