EVOKE – Early Value-Oriented Design Concept Evaluation
Value creation is the end-game solution of product and service design. Yet, ‘value’ is difficult to measure, because it goes beyond manufacturing and usage cost to include a lot of subjective, intangible and tacit concepts.
EVOKE is a method to keep focus on value generation throughout the design process, since its earliest phases. The EVOKE toolbox aims at supporting the design team in prioritizing customer needs, creating product configurations, assessing their value and displaying it for decision making.
The value of a product (or service) to a customer depends on his/her preferences. These are modelled in EVOKE as a list of value criteria, whose rank-weights are used to model different customer tiers and scenarios. Also, through the use of 3D parametrical CAD models and Design of Experiment, the design team can automatically generate a number of configurations for a given product platform. Each configuration is assessed in the value analysis module, by defining the value functions that links the characteristics of a design to the value criteria. Importantly, while many methods focus on value to customers, EVOKE consider value to other stakeholders as well: the enterprise, its employees, its shareholders, its suppliers. The value visualization module further support decision makers in navigating through the results of the analysis at different levels of detail, by means of 2D diagrams and 3D features in the CAD environment.
EVOKE was originally developed in an European FP7 research project in the aerospace sector. Today EVOKE is applied in several industrial cases, covering a range of applications, from compaction equipment to consumer products.
EVOKE helps you find out the design concept that is most valuable for your customer and company.
If you are interested in knowing more about how the method can be applied in your organization and how we are developing it further, please get access to our research material and feel free to contact any of the authors.
- Bertoni, M., Bertoni, A. & Isaksson, O., (2018), Evoke: A value-driven concept selection method for early system design. J. Syst. Sci. Syst. Eng. (2018) 27: 46. doi:10.1007/s11518-016-5324-2
- From rocket science to everyday use: how BTH is transforming Value Driven Design research
- Marco Bertoni, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.bth.se/eng/staff/marco-bertoni-ber/
- Alessandro Bertoni, email@example.com, https://www.bth.se/eng/staff/alessandro-bertoni-abr/
- Tobias Larsson, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.bth.se/eng/staff/tobias-larsson-tlr/