About PhD studies
The post-graduate education within Mechanical Engineering is planned so that the PhD student shall gain expertise as well as generic knowledge in the research subject.
The graduate education shall be of international standard. More info on PhD studies at the BTH site.
- After completed licentiate degree graduation the student is expected to be prepared for doing both research and development tasks.
- After completed PhD degree graduation the successful student should be able to independently conduct research activities in industry or academia.
General information about PhD studies in Sweden here.
“Handbook” for PhD studies in Sweden can be found here.
Study plan for Mechanical Engineering
We collaborate nationally around PhD courses in the PADOK network where we jointly arrange courses.
The following courses are given for PhD candidates (also other courses given on demand):
- Next start October 2020! Product-Service Systems, PDRL01, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson & Marco Bertoni)
- Next start January 2021! Engineering Design Research Methodology, PDRL02, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson & Alessandro Bertoni)
- Global Product Innovation, PDRL03, 15 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Innovative Technology and Business, PDRL04, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Knowledge Enabled Engineering, PDRL05, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Modelling and Simulation in Product Development, PDRL06, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Participatory Product Innovation – P2I, PDRL07, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Simulation of Vehicle Dynamics, PDRL08, 7.5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
- Modeling Simulation and Optimization in the Engineering Product Development Process, PDRL09, 5 ECTS (Tobias Larsson).
- Research Funding, PDRL10, 2 ECTS (Tobias Larsson)
PhD candidates taking part in national Modelling, Simulation and Optimization in the Engineering Product Development Process (March 2018 @ BTH).
You may be employed at BTH as a PhD candidate and have salary from BTH while doing a PhD. You then also teach on up to 20% of your time. These positions are advertised on bth.se.
You may also be Industrial PhD candidate, and in that case you work in a company that pay your salary and you pay tuition for supervision etc.
Massimo Panarotto (left), supervisor/dean Tobias Larsson (middle) and Mikael Johnsson (right) at BTH academic ceremony.
Massimo Panarotto (left), supervisor/dean Tobias Larsson (middle) and Mikael Johnsson (right) at BTH academic ceremony (May 2017).
Current PhD candidates
- Carl Toller (enrolled 2020)
- Raj Machchhar (enrolled 2020)
- Martin Gredehall (enrolled 2020)
- Omsri Aeddula (enrolled 2019)
- Yan Zhang (enrolled 2019, industrial)
- Martin Frank (enrolled 2018, industrial, (Lic #22 2019)
- Ryan Ruvald (enrolled 2017, Lic #21 2019)
- Jenny Elfsberg (enrolled 2017, industrial, Lic #20 2018)
- Sravan Tatipala (enrolled 2016, Lic #23 2019)
- Amber Gray (enrolled 2014)
PhD's & Licentiates from BTH Mechanical Engineering
15 PhD's and 24 Licentiates since 2001. PhD is 4 year research programme. Licentiate is a 2 year research programme. Both post MSc degree.
- Johan Pilthammar (Lic #19 2017, PhD #15 2020)
- Syed Azad Chowdhery (Lic #24 2020)
- Sravan Tatipala (Lic #23 2019)
- Martin Frank (Lic #22 2019)
- Ryan Ruvald (Lic #21 2019)
- Shafiqul Md. Islam (Lic #18 2016, PhD #14 2019)
- Eskil Andreasson (Lic #16 2015, PhD #13 2019)
- Jenny Elfsberg (Lic #20 2018)
- Mikael Johnsson (PhD #12 2016)
- Babak Khodabandeloo (Lic #17 2015)
- Massimo Panarotto (Lic #15 2013, PhD #11 2015)
- Pia Lindahl (Lic #14 2013)
- Merlina Missimer (Lic #13 2013)
- Cecilia Bratt (Lic #12 2011)
- Armando Leon (Lic #11 2011)
- Andreas Josefsson (PhD #9 2011)
- Anthony Thompson (Lic #10 2010, PhD #10 2012)
- Johan Fredin (Lic #9 2009)
- Martin Magnevall (Lic #8 2008, PhD #8 2011)
- Kristian Haller (Lic #7 2007, PhD #6 2008)
- Henrik Ny (Lic #6 2006, PhD #7 2009)
- Etienne Mfoumou (Lic #5 2006, PhD #5 2008)
- Johan Wall (Lic #4 2003, PhD #3 2007)
- Thomas Englund (Lic #3 2003)
- Anders Jönsson (Lic #2 2001, PhD #2 2004)
- Sophie Hallstedt (Lic #1 2001, PhD #4 2008)
- Sharo Kao-Walter (PhD #1 2004)