The department of Mechanical Engineering, within the Faculty of Engineering Sciences, is a unit that has been at the core of BTH since the start. The department is active in research, education and collaboration, and is a specialized unit with in-depth knowledge.
We work in high degree accordingly to Blekinge Institute of Technologys profile applied IT and innovation for sustainable growth and in our student and research labs we have modern equipment and systems to support product development, prototyping and visualization.
We gather our research efforts under the flag of Product Development Research Laboratory, within the research subject of Mechanical Engineering. Education is carried out in the subject of Mechanical Engineering.
The PDRL lab is led by Professor Tobias Larsson, also Dean of Faculty of Engineering Sciences.
Some events in the Department of Mechanical Engineerings history worth mention:
- 2012: Receives Knowledge Foundation Profile grant in Model Driven Development to build strong research environment at BTH
- 2012: The Department of Strategic Sustainable Development is successfully created as a spin-off from the department.
- 2010: The new master's Programme in Sustainable Product-Service Systems Innovation begins successfully.
- 2005: Mechanical Engineerings two first Ph.D exams
- 2004: The new master's Programme in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability begins successfully.
- 2003: A new master´s programme in Strategic Leadership Towards Sustainability was approved.
- 2003: The two first licentiate of technology where examined at the Department of Mechanical Engineering.
- 2002: Civilingenjörsutbildning (a master programme) in Mechanical Engineering was approved
- 2001: The department got its own research area in Mechanical Engineering.
- 2001: Our first fulltime professor was appointed.
- 2001: Two licentiate of technology, supervised at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, where examined.
- 2000: The three year education programme in Virtual product development and design started
- 2000: Our first associate professor (docent) was appointed.
- 1997: The first PhD student began working at the department.
- 1996: Our master programme in Structural mechanics started.
- 1993: The three year education programme in Product Development started.